Dig Deep

March 25, 2011

I haven’t posted a video on my blog in ages, but this is so excellent that everyone should watch it. I suppose to get the full context, you have to watch the odious Alexandra Wallace “Asians in the Library” video, and I’m sorry for that. The original got taken down, but here is a blurry version with commentary added:

But this response is so smart, so well thought-out that it actually makes me glad the young Ms. Wallace posted her foolish rant. Because this video, right here? This is the kind of thing that teaches me something about assumptions I have made, about feelings I have had. This is why I’m glad the internet exists – because it exposes me to important things I may never experience any other way.

1. March 26, 2011 05:37

Whoa. I saw a ton of parody videos right after this happened, but that was awesome.

• March 26, 2011 07:37

I know – I thought it was going to be some snarky little thing and then WHOA –

2. Ginny permalink
    March 26, 2011 10:49

That is the best reponse to ignorance and entitlement that I ever seen, read, or heard. Evah! The first video made me want to bitch slap Alexandra with my he-man -monkey-fist, but Beau’s response was so much smarter, deeper, and let’s face it – appropriate. Thank you for sharing this – I don’t think I would have seen it otherwise.

3. March 26, 2011 18:48

I actually had not heard about Ms. Wallace and her fine American manners before this. I should try to get on the internet more often, but I have so many family members and they have so much laundry. I’ve been watching some of the responses to her, and while I like the one you posted for its insight and empathy, I have to say that for sheer pithiness, I’m a big fan of this one:

I am also a little in love with Bart Kwan:

“You know where you fucked up? You said, ‘ching chong ling long.’ You know we can’t pronounce our Ls!”

• April 20, 2011 00:57

Bart Kwan is clearly The Man. Applause for him!
      & your statement about copious family members and laundry? *snort* Well played. ;p

4. March 26, 2011 18:50

Yikes, I didn’t know the videos were going to embed like that. You can change them to links if that’s annoying.

• March 26, 2011 21:19

I didn’t even know you could do that!

• March 26, 2011 21:25

Both good responses. Though on the L/R thing, I was traveling with a student from Seoul in Costa Rica and, since we were a group of language students, we started talking about tongue twisters. My favorite tongue twister “Red Leather, Yellow Leather” gave him real fits because of the Ls and Rs. Of course, he and the other student who were also studying Mandarin told me I couldn’t even say “Xie Xie” correctly, so I got my comeuppance. The person who kicked all our butts was the Polish guy, who had tongue twisters of frightening complexity. Polish sounds IMPOSSIBLE.

5. March 29, 2011 10:26

This was another brilliant (& charming) response:

• March 30, 2011 11:36

I not only have heard that song, I have it stuck in my head! Earworm!

6. March 29, 2011 20:27

Thank you so much for elaborating on this ugly incident. I’m impressed with all the clever responses. I hear AW has left UCLA and I say, ‘Good riddance!’ For the sake of her career, she’d be wise to look into a name change.

And when I heard the phrase, “American manners” my first thought was, “Isn’t that an oxymoron?” Emphasis on ‘moron.’

• March 30, 2011 11:33

Yes, some people just aren’t college material, no matter how many epiphanies they have while studying in the library.

7. Nicole Reeves permalink
    March 30, 2011 22:10

I couldn’t help but notice that her tank top appears to have had an epiphany when it realized it was two sizes too small.
    I’m giving her the benefit of a doubt thinking perhaps she ranted in real time because ANY SANE person who would’ve pre-viewed that video before posting would have deleted and fast.

• March 30, 2011 22:12

Poor girl can’t help it. She lives in LA, where having your boobies leap out of your top is an everyday occurrence.

8. Al_Pal permalink
    April 19, 2011 23:32

Wow. Scary stuff. I’m surprised that she chose to go to UCLA; it’s well-known to be one of the UCs with high Asian population. Although it seems clear that she wasn’t aware of her racism/fear of Other. SO glad I took very-modern, aware, Anthropology. ;p
    Thanks for posting.

• April 20, 2011 06:14

I think if you expect to go to a good college and somehow avoid Asians, you’ve got a big surprise coming.