Winter, Be Kind
On a day where I found out a dearly beloved had been sexually assaulted, on a day where a friend’s new shelter dog died after just a month with her, I find myself close to tears. Between Paris and anti-immigrant governors, I am too much with this world. I would ask winter to be a little kinder, please.
Ways to make winter a little brighter:
- Crystals hung in windows to make morning and afternoon rainbows
- Toasted panettone with butter
- Long walks wearing a scarf
- Tea and conversation at a cozy cafe with a friend
- Netflix binges
- Singing with other people
- Forget pumpkin spice. Brussels sprouts everything.
Speaking of Brussels sprouts, I got a fresh stalk today. I was in the kitchen, popping the sprouts off the stalk when Abbie Lynn came in and began staring at me intently. She had already eaten and had spent the day at day care, so I knew she didn’t need food or exercise.
Then I realized.
When she was a pup, I had given her a denuded Brussels sprouts stalk to play with like a stick. She remembered. She wanted the stick.
Dogs never forget.
Abbie with a winter rainbow.